How to Retrieve Deleted Text Messages on iPhone | How to recover deleted text messages iPhone
Do you need to recover a text message that you mistakenly deleted? There are various methods to recover deleted text messages, so don’t be concerned! We’ll go through how to restore lost text messages on an iPhone from an iCloud backup, as well as a few other tips and tactics.
How to Recover Deleted Messages From Facebook, WhatsApp
If you’re not sure if you deleted a text, iMessage, Facebook message, or WhatsApp message, there are a few methods you may take to find it. You can search for previous WhatsApp chats, Facebook communications, or text messages in a relatively short amount of time. Continue reading if you need to know how to find deleted messages on your iPhone and are certain they were erased.
How to Use iCloud Recovery to Recover Deleted iPhone Messages
When it comes to recovering deleted text messages from an iPhone, iCloud backups are an excellent option. You should be able to recover deleted texts using this method if you routinely back up your iPhone to iCloud. If you haven’t already, make sure you’re backing up to iCloud on a regular basis! It’s a good idea to back up a lot of vital data, not just messages that can be lost, and you can configure iCloud backups to run automatically so you don’t have to think about it.
Check your most recent iCloud backup first.
To restore lost tests on the iPhone, make sure the most recent successful backup occurred before the messages were deleted. If this is the case, you can retrieve deleted text messages using the previous successful backup! If so, you’ll need to try another approach, such as retrieving deleted messages from your most recent computer backup.
- Open the Settings app on your phone.
- At the top, tap on your Apple ID profile.
- Select iCloud from the drop-down menu.
- If necessary, scroll down and select iCloud Backup.
- Now examine if your most recent successful backup occurred before or after you removed the texts from your iPhone.
You’re in luck if the iCloud backup dates the moment you removed texts from your iPhone. Continue to the next section to use the iCloud backup to restore the deleted texts. If the last successful backup occurred after the messages on your iPhone were deleted, try the PC backup option next.
iCloud Backup Can Help You Recover Deleted Messages on iPhone
To retrieve the lost texts back, you’ll have to erase your iPhone and restore it from a backup taken before the deletion. To do so, follow these steps:
- Open the Settings app on your phone.
- Scroll down to General and tap it.
- Select Reset at the bottom of the page.
- Select Erase All Content and Settings from the drop-down menu. When you restore your iCloud backup, most of your settings will be preserved, but you may need to log back into some of your apps.
- Choose the second option, Erase Now, from the confirmation menu that appears.
- It’s critical not to select Backup Then Erase because you’ll lose the prior backup and be unable to restore the lost text messages.
- Your iPhone has now been completely erased, and it will operate as if it were a brand new device.
- Follow the directions on the screen until you reach the Apps & Data page.
Select Apps & Data on the Apps & Data page.
Continue to Choose backup, then choose from a list of iCloud backups that are available. Other than the one you checked before starting, there may be even older backups to choose from. Choose the most recent one that occurred before the text messages were deleted. Remember that the older the backup, the less likely it is to contain other crucial data that you’ve added to your iPhone since it was created.
After the iPhone is restored, you may need to login into all of your accounts again.
After you’ve completed this procedure, check to see if you’ve been able to restore your iPhone’s deleted text messages. If not, move on to the next section!
Recover Deleted Text Messages on iPhone Using Your Computer
Don’t worry if the previous method of recovering deleted text messages failed; there is another option to retrieve deleted text messages using your computer. As with recovering deleted messages from an iCloud backup on your iPhone, you should be able to view any stored messages from your local backups if you’ve been backing up your PC on a regular basis. This is why, even if you have automated iCloud backups enabled, you should back up your iPhone to your computer on a regular basis. To recover deleted texts from an iPhone, follow these simple steps.
Important: If you don’t see your text messages here, it’s possible that you’ve disabled this function of the PC / Mac synchronization process. You might want to make these changes so that recovering deleted text messages on an iPhone is easier in the future.
To begin, turn off Find My iPhone.
Before restoring your iPhone from a computer backup, you must first disable the Find My iPhone feature using your Apple ID and password.
While Find My iPhone is turned on, you won’t be able to restore a Finder or iTunes backup. This is to prevent someone from using their own backup to restore a stolen iPhone. After that, you can try the Finder way (for Mac OS X Catalina or later) or the iTunes approach (for older macOS versions and PCs).
- Open the Settings app on your phone.
- At the top, select your Apple ID profile.
- Choose Find My from the drop-down menu.
- Select Find My iPhone from the menu.
- Turn off the Find My iPhone feature. Your Apple ID password will be required.
Connect your iPhone to the computer you use to sync it. If you have an older version of macOS or a PC, you will need to restore it from iTunes. You’ll restore from Finder if you’re running macOS Catalina or later.
Recover Deleted Messages on Your iPhone Using the Finder (macOS Catalina or Later)
- Allow your iPhone to trust and connect with this computer if requested.
- Your iPhone should appear in Finder under Locations after it is linked to your Mac. It’s a simple click.
- A list of your computer’s backups will appear when you click Manage Backups.
- If no backups are listed, you won’t be able to restore your iPhone from your computer, but keep reading for further options.
- If you see prior backups, double-check that the most recent backup was made before you deleted the text messages but after you sent them.
- If this is the case, click OK.
- Now it’s time to repair. Select Restore iPhone from the menu.
This procedure can take some time, particularly if the backup is huge. This should recover your text messages as long as your backup was created after they were sent and before they were removed. Simply follow the on-screen instructions, and your iPhone will be restored to its previous backup condition.
If you’ve followed the steps above but are still unable to recover your iPhone’s deleted text messages, you should contact your phone service provider to see if they know how to restore deleted text messages on an iPhone.
Recover Deleted Text Messages on Your iPhone using iTunes (PC or macOS Mojave & older)
You can use this approach to recover deleted text messages on your iPhone if you have a PC or are running macOS Mojave or earlier on your Mac. This approach will not work if you have synced with this PC or Mac since removing your text messages, because iTunes only preserves the most recent backup data for a restore. This method should restore your missing text messages to your Messages app if you haven’t synced with iTunes since you removed them!
- Connect your iPhone to the computer with which you regularly sync it.
- iTunes will open on its own. If not, simply double-click the software to start it.
- In the top-left corner of the screen, near the drop-down menu, click the phone icon.
- If it isn’t present, your iPhone is most likely not linked to your computer.
- Verify that you’re on the Summary page.
- Click Restore Backup to restore the data backed up from your iPhone, including any deleted text messages.
- If this option is grayed out, you may need to switch your backup choices from iCloud to This Computer (on the left-hand side of this screen). After you’ve restored your iPhone, you can change it back.
If you have a lot of data on your phone or Mac, this process may take along.
If you don’t have access to the deleted messages, keep reading for additional information on how to recover deleted text messages.
Contact your cell phone service provider to recover deleted texts.
You may be able to retrieve lost text messages by calling your cellular service provider in some cases.
They will have access to a backup on occasion if it has not been overwritten or modified. If you’re in a pinch and need to get messages back quickly, I’d suggest contacting them first before resorting to a third-party app or other harsh measures.
When you call, ask for technical assistance first, then request to speak with a person, as there are unlikely to be accurate menu prompts to direct you to the correct department. While the person may or may not be able to assist you, they may make recommendations that you have not yet considered.
iPhone Apps to Recover Deleted Text Messages
This should only be used as a last resort if you need to recover deleted messages from your iPhone. There are a few third-party programs that can help you retrieve deleted files and text messages from your iPhone, but they’re risky. Make sure you read the reviews thoroughly to determine the credibility of any app you’re considering.
Overall, I would be hesitant to use any of these programs to recover deleted text messages, but if you’re in a pinch, there are a couple that has received positive feedback and are widely used online. Tenorshare iPhone Data Recovery features a commercial version and a free trial, and WonderShare Dr.Fone for iOS has both a free trial and a premium version available online.
There are no guarantees, and you’re putting yourself at the mercy of these programs and their authors, so even reliable web sources should be carefully scrutinized before diving in.
Now that you know how to recover deleted messages on your iPhone in a hurry, you can move on to the next step.
ALSO, READ MORE POSTS ON: